Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Joys of Manual Labor

I wrote a few days ago about how I feel like Jesus here. Along that heretical line I also feel quite like an Amish person who happens to wear comparatively revealing and brightly colored clothing. So with no further ado:

Top 5 Reasons I Feel Amish (with explanations to follow):

5. No elevators. Anywhere. If you can't climb it, you ain't going nowhere suckas.
4. My religion/instinct for survival won't allow me to drive here, but I will accept rides from those brave enough to bear the wrath of the road.
3. There are goats. EVERYWHERE.
2. The lawnmowers consist of a guy with a sickle and a machete. He holds the grass/weed steady with the sickle and slices with the machete. Very time-consuming, but fascinating to watch.
1. Here when you are doing laundry, you are doing laundry. Washing machines haven't made the trans-continental leap yet, so at least once a week you can find me scrubbing away at red-dirt-stained clothes with laundry soap and a bucket of water. I might just get pictures taken because I know that some of you will never believe it without actual proof. But I swear. It's true.


----------------------------------------------

Thanks for the comment K. I will definitely check out Champ's as soon as I quit being too broke to afford the obruni taxi price.

Trace- thank you so much for the letter you sent me!! I really enjoyed seeing familiar handwriting and will be thrilled at the prospect of receiving Pop-Tarts. Good luck with the bookstore and I hope your ankle is doing better!

So hint, hint to all. Write me postcards or letters. I will adore you forever!! P.S. Regular mail takes about two weeks to receive. Postage for a letter is around $0.90 I believe.


Also, this weekend I will be visiting Cape Coast and touring the Cape Coast Castle. You can read about it here. The occasion of our visit is the annual festival that takes place on September 1st and 2nd. We will also be visiting Kakum National Forest and doing a canopy walk there. A detailed adventure description will follow upon my safe return.

Bye all. Till I post anew!
-H

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Address? It might be back in previous posts, but I am entirely too lazy to look for it... :)
- Lissa

Anonymous said...

Pop Tarts on hold! Just how sure are you that the regular mail for packages is not a good thing? I went to mail you a 2 lb small shoe box size package yesterday and here is what I found - UPS does not deliver to Ghana, Fed Ex economy was $90+ (DHL same) and USPS to Ghana postal was $41. YIKES! Did not want to spend $40 on Pop Tarts and small misc if it is not going to get there. Any suggestions? FYI a standard greeting card was $1.10. $$ varies by weight even for a letter/card from $.90 to about $1.20.
-Trace

Anonymous said...

hey haley hows Ghana? Abby