Monday, July 30, 2007

So much to be said

Oh the changes that can happen when you don't post for six days. Insane changes actually. First: update on why I am now part of the American population who DESPISES the health care corporate world. Those people are so cheap it's not even funny. They not only don't cover my typhoid medicine, but now they are saying they won't cover any of my malaria prescription either. So I have two choices, (a) DIE or (b) pay ridiculous amounts of money to stay malaria free. Those assholes know that no one in their right mind would go to Africa for 5 months without malaria pills. So they refuse to pay for it based on their assumption that you are not suicidal. Cheapasses.

Second major change: I have now relocated from Houston to Memphis for the week before I fly out. I've said goodbye to all of my friends and only have family left to deal with. It's such a surreal feeling knowing that for months I won't see these people who have shared so many memories with me. I know they are all going to have incredible semesters, but I still wish they could be with me to enjoy my soon-to-come adventures.

I was happy to see my family today. (Surprising knowing that I am a solitary cynic, but still.) I hadn't seen them in months and won't again until Christmas. I think we all work better when we see each other in small doses. Our chosen lives are just so different now. And mine is continuing to divert from their paths even more each day. But I am proud of the person I am and the decisions I have made. Make no mistake about that.

OK, weird post but I've been driving for 10+ hours today, so it's understandable that I'm completely incoherent.

No comments: