Thursday, October 4, 2007

Time for a Vacation and Some Meditation

Last night as I was dancing around my room to "Under My Thumb" by The Rolling Stones (and when I say dancing I really mean flailing my arms wildly while stomping and doing some ridiculous air guitar), I realized that I am so de-stressed here in Ghana that it's not even funny. I knew that I wanted to relax while I am here and allow myself to decompress and quit doing things that I think I have to do, but know deep down are superfluous. All of you who know me, know that I am an overcommitter. If that's even a word. hahaha. My planner rules my life and if I have an empty moment, I will do all in my power just to fill it with something I deem worthwhile. I am the phrase "busy bee." So being in Ghana with no job, no real schoolwork, no clubs, no boyfriend, and no car has really cramped my style. I have had more time than I know what to do with. And even though it is something I would never do under normal circumstances, I have decided to enjoy it. Not just enjoy it even... revel in it. I have read more books in the two months that I have been here than I normally do all school year. I have taken a thousand pictures (no, really I have). I have become more tan than I have been since that time I lived in Italy and tanned on the beach with baby oil (bad, I know but I was a stupid 16 year old). And I have found so much peace in my soul that I never thought possible before coming here. This experience has been one of true cleansing, purification, and forgiveness. It has been invaluable to my growth in emotional, mental, and spiritual realms.

In keeping with my determination to promote a healthy well-being for myself, I am going away this weekend on a self-imposed reflection retreat. I am going with Heather M. also in my USAC group, but we have agreed to keep interactions minimal while we are there. We will travel together, eat together, and stay together, but will have the days free to be together or apart as we please. I thought about a vow of silence for the weekend, but I think that is silly for me. I don't need to restrict myself in such a way. Merely I am going to relax and ponder many things while I watch the waves crash against the beach, listen to the birds fill the air with delightful sounds, and otherwise enjoy the purity of Keta, Ghana. Here is another link that has photos and blogs. I'm not going to read them, but you can if you would like. From what I have read in the guide books, Keta has a lovely beach, a bird sanctuary with an observation platform, some rare wildlife due to the massive lagoon, and Ghana's oldest lighthouse. I will leave tomorrow morning and return Sunday night. I am very excited!

In other news, I ordered a totally sweet blanket from seamstress Jane and some fake Tevas from the shoe guys in our night market. I hope all turns out well with these investments.


-------------------------------------
Also, to all my readers in Houston or even just my readers who love coffee. October is Fair Trade month, so get out there and support Rice Coffeehouse!!! They have some totally sweet new shirts and bumper stickers. Pick one up ASAP along with a cup of delicious, fresh, brewed from beans not mixed from powder and water like they have in Africa, real coffee. It will be worth your while. Trust me. You will never love coffee more than when you are forced to drink instant nasty for 5 months straight.

The only problem comes when someone like Dylan comes to you and tells you in secret that he has found a place in this campus-city that serves real coffee brewed from beans at 202 degrees Fahrenheit exactly as real coffee should be. He goes on to lure you by saying that the drip coffee is $2 a cup, but the refills are free. As your eyes widen with lust and you question him as to the location of this oasis, this refuge from all bad coffee imitations, all of the sudden he grins. Without another word needed you know. You start girl-slapping him for the cruel joke, the insensitive teasing, the false hope placed deep in the core of your longing.

This my dear friends and readers is the plight I must endure for my love affair with coffee. Alas, absence makes the heart grow fonder. But anyways, those of you who can get it, should get it from the Coffeehouse. Have some good tea while you're at it. I'm irritated by this pre-bagged stuff too. Loose leaf is where it's at.

Ok, there's my soapbox for the day. I'm out for the weekend, so I'll catch ya on the flip side.

Peace out homies.

-H



No comments: