Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Market

Yesterday I went into the market at Madina with some of the girls in my group. Madina is the local market where everyone buys everything from cloth to fish to mirrors. Really anything. It's always fun to go because you can practice your bargaining and meet lots of people. I'm trying to buy from the same ladies most of the time so that they recognize me and won't rip me off. People here usually double the price if you're an "obroni" or white foreigner. So you have to get to know them and bargain with them in order not to pay exorbitant prices for whatever it is you want.

So far I have bought at the market:
Cloth
Mirror
Lock
Bracelet
Hangers
Bowls
Knife

I think that's it, but I'm not sure. The prices here are so much cheaper than at home. I paid 20 cents for the knife. Cloth is usually $1.50 per yard. $2.00 is an expensive fabric. It's so crazy coming to a place where everything is so much cheaper. I think going back home will be hard. I'm going to be so stingy. Yesterday I laughed at myself because someone told me they paid $8 for a pair of hand sewn, tailor-made pants and I looked at them shocked because I thought that was a lot of money. Then I remembered that I couldn't buy a pair of hand-made tailored pants for less than probably $100.00 at home. So I'm going to get some pants made today. hahaha. It's cool because the seamstresses will come directly to our hostel and take our measurements. We get to pick the cloth right there. Then a few days later, bam! A pair of pants, a dress, a top -whatever- that fits you perfectly. It's totally great. And I'm so embracing the beautiful patterns here. All you who know that I have been trying to break out of my solid color rut would be so proud of me.

Anyways, enough for today. Wish me water and I'll write again soon. Don't forget to post!!

P.S. If you want to send me anything, my address is:

Haley Ray
PMB 26
University of Ghana
Legon, Accra, Ghana

I'll include a wish list later. haha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haley! i'm loving this blog. seriously - i have a new form of procrastination for my upcoming semester. will be checking in frequently. best of luck, have fun, and post pictures if you can!
- Lissa

Shelly Johnstone said...

Haley, Sounds like interesting times! What would you like to get from the USA - what are you missing the most (besides mom and water)? Let me know and we will put a care package together. Take care. Shelly

Unknown said...

ok ok i caved in... i missed you a ton so i decided to read your blog!

life is so busy right now, but im glad you're getting an opportunity to expand your horizons.

i ALREADY can't wait for you to get back! be safe!!!

Haley said...

I'm glad you all like the blog! I am trying to keep it pretty updated. Let me know if you would like any special features...

On the care package note- things take about 2 months to get here, so definitely nothing perishable. I'll have to think about it... I'll post on it soon.