Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oh the Deliciousness that is Ghanaian Cuisine

Finally, alas, the time has come for my ever-awaited commentary on the oh-so-divine food of Ghana. Shelly and Parker- this one is especially for you two!

The food here can basically described as spicy and extraordinarily flavorful. Most courses use some type of rice: jollof (which is white rice mixed with a tomato based, spicy pepper sauce) or plain fried rice. There is often either chicken or fish (head and eyes included) as a part of each dish. My particular favorite meal thus far is red-red. Red-red is a bean stew paired with fried plantains. Oh lordy, it is unbelievably good.

It seems that everything here is really spicy. Back home, I hated spicy things but here it's a different kind. It's not just hot, it has a flavor to it. I think that is what makes the difference. They use a lot of cayenne pepper here, not Tabasco sauce or anything processed like that.

Everything is all natural. Everything. I literally could go to the market and buy a live chicken. I have seen the parts of the meat market where they are skinning animals. It is all kinds of fresh up here in Ghana. I think the fish is a little too fishy tasting for my preference, but the other meat is really good.

There are also a ton of vegetarian/vegan options. There is a little stand on campus that sells only vegan food and man is it delicious. We can get mushroom wraps, avocado sandwiches, tofu burgers, brown rice. All kinds of stuff that remind me of home.

You can get Chinese food, Indian food, American food, British food, etc. Pretty much if you want it, you can find it in Accra. It might be a little hard or expensive to get to but if you are dying for it, apparently it can be had. The thing I am really craving is some Tex-Mex. Man, I would love some quesadillas right about now.

I will try to post some recipes to be more specific if I can get some. Sorry it's vague, but I can assure you that I will do my best to get more information for all you foodies out there.

NB to Parker: I haven't tried the palm wine as promised and you can rest assured that I never will as it is actually carbonated. So sleep easy!! hahahaha

-------------------------------------------------------------

Top 10 Foods I Miss and Want Someone to Cook/Buy For Me When I Get Back:

10. Pop-Tarts
9. Duck
8. Actual potatoes, not yam potatoes
7. Freebird's Burrito
6. Polenta (don't know why, but I do)
5. Jerry's
4. Sticky brown rice
3. Huey's hamburger
2. Bagel with cinnamon cream cheese
1. Tacos al Carbon

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think I might be able to post some pictures to my flickr account sometime in the next few weeks. I might have found a way. So if I do, I will let you all know ASAP. Miss you all.
Much love,
Haley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news! Jerry's is now open all year 'round! Sno cones of this caliber can be enjoyed even in December! Pop tarts on the way!
Trace

Anonymous said...

Hey Haley your blog makes me nostalgic. I spent a year during my junior year at Legon four years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Sorry about the robbery incident. A similar thing happened to one of the girls in our program. It however ended in a very comical way though. The girl's name was Grace, which also happened to be the name of the mother of one of the guys who broke into her room. He immediately pleaded with his gang to put everything they had taken back. Which they did and proceeded to tell their life stories to Grace and who could not help crying. Some of them cried too and Grace gave them $10 in trotro fare before they left. They whole thing was super hilarious. Anyway, about your Tex-Mex craving, check out The Champs. It is a sports bar in Accra and every taxi driver would take you there. Hopes that works fine.
K. Thompson
Cambridge