Sunday, August 12, 2007

Physical Landscape

The landscape is incredibly beautiful here. The contrast between the red dirt, bright green grass and clear blue skies is wonderful. It really overwhelms your senses to look out at something so natural every day, not marred by skyscrapers or parking lots. However, there is a lot of litter on the ground. For some reason, there are no trashcans to be seen, so people just throw whatever down wherever they happen to be standing.

The temperature is not too hot actually, it even gets coldish at night. The humidity is pretty high though, but it's not bad as I am used to the Houston weather. Everyone says it gets way hotter though towards October and even more into December. It's so weird that it will be getting warmer, not cooler as the year ends. I've never had that happen before, so that's another difference. It sure will be a shock going to 40 degree weather for Christmas in Memphis.

Another thing I found interesting about the landscape is the sheer number of ditches around. They are everywhere on campus! The students in my program all joke that we will fall into them some day. They are made out of concrete and are only about a foot wide, but they run just along the sides of the road, so it would be quite easy to accidentally fall into one. And that would suck as they are about 3 or 4 feet deep. They are quite useless right now because Ghana is having a drought. There has been irregular rainfall in the North, so the South is having water rations. Hence the no running water in 4 or 5 days. I got one or two blessed cold showers in before I had to start taking sponge baths out of a bucket. Now that is an experience- let me tell you. haha. But honestly, you feel pretty clean afterwards so it's not too bad. Heavy to haul the water from the nearest working tap, but all in all a doable feat.

I'm running out of time on the internet, so I think it is best for me to end here, but please do comment and I will try to post again as soon as I can. It's just hard when the electricity keeps going off all the time. (I am so glad I brought the solar powered lantern by the way!!) I think once school starts, my connection will be better.

P.S. I am starting to get a tan!! Imagine that I know, but still- it's true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One time my dog Ally almost fell into a storm drain. Please be careful. I would say take lots of pictures, but I know you will.


LOOOOVE, Devon

Anonymous said...

Marred by falling into a storm drain. Naw. But just to be on the safe side i would prob rather to just walk in the street. Enjoy that cooler weather [the humidity and the 103 temperatures keep me warm at night] and the bucket baths. From what I can remember, I had one of those [as did everyone] and had embarrassing pictures taken of me. [i was like 1 or 2] don't let that happen to you.

stay safe, stay sound, <3 Jordan