Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bootleg DVDs = Love of My Life

I started out this trip by saying that I was going to "discover myself," "get back to my roots," and "appreciate the simple things in life." Now I understand that that was all crap. Life is only worth living if you can have bootleg DVDs like the ones they have here in Ghana. These DVDs don't joke around either. We're talking 16 movies on one disc. 16!!! Today a bunch of us bought the Julia Roberts compilation complete with Ocean's 11 and 12, The Pelican Brief, My Best Friend's Wedding, Pretty Woman, The Mexican, etc. The only things missing are Steel Magnolias and Run-Away Bride. I mean they are talkin' business here in Ghana. We paid 6 Cedi for that disc of golden happiness. I think my life is complete. The next one I'm going to buy will be the disc with all the Harry Potters and all of the Lord of the Rings. I don't even have to feel bad about it because you can't find the legitimate movies even if you wanted to. These really are the only ones out there. Oh yeah, weeks of mindless entertainment, here I come!

Other than that there's not that much. Oh wait. I ripped all the flooring out of my room to discover a veritable mold colony living underneath it. Not just living. I sincerely believe they had a government set up and were starting to dish out welfare for the less fortunate. So I bleached my whole floor today. And rearranged my whole room. Needless to say I won't be sleeping in there until we get back from Kumasi. All that mold has given me a really sore throat and some nasty sinus issues. I hope the 5 day trip will help clear that up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I will leave you with a gem from health class:

The ABC's of HIV/AIDS Prevention

Abstinence
Be Faithful
Condom Use

I am not kidding. This is on every billboard. In every dorm. Everywhere on campus. We had it told to us in our health lecture and were even given pamphlets at orientation. AIDS is not funny, but that slogan sure as hell is.

Until tomorrow, I think. I'm buying shoes in Accra, but I should be able to post something after that. So it's your last chance for present requests!!! I'm not kidding!

Love,
H

3 comments:

Lissa said...

i want a gorgeous picture of something exotic. :D

Anonymous said...

"Miss Truvy, I promise that my pesonal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair."

"M'Lynn, you just missed the chance of a lifetime. Half of Chiquapin parrish 'll give their eyeteeth to take a whack o' Ouiser!"

Just so you won't miss Steel Magnolias TOO much!

Love ya!
Trace

Anonymous said...

Hey Haley be sure to take a picture of a monkey for me please. That whole mold promblem of yours is NASTY. hAVE FUN ON UR SAFARI TRIP love yo siSer ABBY