Thursday, September 27, 2007

Dude, that was whack!

I just saw the sickest thing yesterday and I have to tell you about it. A bunch of us obrunis were out watching some of our friends play a basketball game. It was really fun because we knew people on both teams and the score was pretty close. All of a sudden, this guy on the Akuafo team goes for a layup and he collides with a guy on the Commonwealth team. The Akuafo guy does a somersault as he lands on the ground, hitting his head, but he ends up sitting upright. Everyone thinks he's ok for a second until we notice the weird angle of his right leg. This dude broke his femur. It was sick. They tried to lift him up and one part of his leg moved while the other stayed still. Again, it was sick. We found out today that he is having surgery this week to have metal rods put in and then he has over a 3 month recovery period after that. What I got to say is: Dude, that was whack! I feel so sorry for that guy. I cannot even imagine the pain of breaking your femur. That just sucks. He is a local Ghanaian, so at least he's not out of his element in a foreign country confronting surgery and a 1/4 year recovery, but still- it's pretty bad...



In other news...

Ghanaians eat oranges in a totally different way than we do in America. Instead of cutting it up into slices, Ghanaians cut off the top and then suck out the juice while squeezing the orange. It makes a little bit of sense that they do this as it decreases mess and it's the only way to get legitimate orange juice in the whole country. However, I do miss slices every once in a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
First 5 Places I Will Go When I Get Back to Memphis/Hernando:
1. Target- Oh man, I miss Target. A one stop shopping place where you can get ANYTHING. and EVERYTHING.
2. The Dip- No further explanation than Snickers ice cream needed.
3. Studio on the Square/Paradiso- I will be so behind on movies, I won't know what to do.
4. Fuji Cafe- $3 sushi that tastes like heaven? I should think so!
5. Outdoors- I need new Tevas.


First 5
Places I Will Go When I Get Back to Houston:
1. Baby Barnaby's. Fresh Orange Juice. The Green Eggs. Oh baby, oh baby.
2. Rice Coffeehouse- I have missed you people (and coffee)!!
3. Target- I figure you can't have too much of a good thing.
4. Anthropologie- I will need a cute new wardrobe. I might hit up Urban too...
5. HCP (Houston Center for Photography)- I am in need of some good art.



I love you all and am having a great time even though I miss you! I'm trying to write a ton of postcards, so email you address if you want one (haleyeray@gmail.com) or comment with it.

Tanti baci,
Haley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate oranges that way as a kid in Alabama. We then turned the whole thing inside out and ate the insides! Yun! I think I will go buy an orange and relive my youth! Thanks for the memory jog!

Love ya!
Trace

Anonymous said...

Must be a generational thing. I ate oranges that way too.

I love you,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Haley hows it goin luv ya abby

Anonymous said...

Hey Haley! I miss you so much! Wow i feel really bad for that guy that must have been discusting to see that! Well, anyway that is cool how they eat their oranges. Yesterday I was in Oxford and me and some friends, including Meg, had a raw bacon fight out on a boat! It was so gross but fun, the bacon was bait for the fish! I caught a HUGE catfish, and I named him Mantua! hehe! I miss you!

Always,
Carlee

Anonymous said...

No electricity?

Love ya,
Trace