Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Festivals, Infections, and Crocodiles

This weekend I went to Cape Coast in the Central region. There we went to observe the cleansing festival of the Fante people. The Fante's celebrate this festival as their New Year approaches, welcoming new beginnings and putting the sins and shames of the past year behind them. Needless to say it was a beautiful festival with many photo opportunities which I will try my very hardest to show you. People danced and sang, laughed and drank, and generally enjoyed the merriment and joy of the occasion. My connection is bad and I don't have much time so I won't elaborate here, but continue on to the other two topics to be discussed.

On Friday, I got my first experience with a Ghanaian hospital. Yes, it's true. But I am alive and perfectly fine now so don't twist any panties into a wad. They think I might have had pink-eye, but it was definitely some kind of nasty eye infection and my program coordinator made me go. Luckily they gave me magic eye drops that made it clear up within hours. I think I am going to bring some home with me. It cost 70 pesewas ~ 75 cents. Amazing.

Crocodiles. I took so many pictures of the crocodiles this weekend at our Botel [sic] that I could cover a wall. There were tons of them and I really liked them. Unfortunately one of them started chasing Molly, Karli, Angela, and Heather M. when they were trying to get on a paddle-boat. It was scary at the time but now hilariously funny.

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry this is short and disjointed. But here come the random updates:

1. I got a hot shower at our Botel [sic]. It was friggin' amazing. There are no words.

2. Marriage Proposal Count: I think I am up to 4 now. Not quite sure though.

Top 5 Things I Don't Really Miss, But Would Have Expected To:

5. Nail Polish- I used to always paint my toe nails, but they have been au naturale since I've been here and I'm pretty used to it by now.
4. Ice- I was an ice nazi back in the States, but here I can't have it for health precautions and it really doesn't bother me.
3. TV- I got to watch the National Geographic Channel over the weekend, and while it was pretty interesting, I don't think I'm missing too much.
2. Dryers- see below
1. Washing Machines I actually don't mind the by-hand laundry. It's monotonous, but gives you plenty of time to think about stuff.


---------------------------------
Lissa- My address is:
PMB 26
Legon, Accra, Ghana

Send my love to all of old 3rd South!! I expect a free bed on campus whenever needed haha!

Trace- The pop-tarts aren't that important. I have gotten over the urge for the most part. Don't worry about it if it's too expensive. Thanks for the thought though! It really is what counts!!!

Bye all! Write me if you please.

-H

No comments: